Re: msys2 build path problems + copy-paste english results in chinese ch

From: Arthur Miller
Subject: Re: msys2 build path problems + copy-paste english results in chinese characters
Date: Sun, 05 Dec 2021 11:57:55 +0100

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> From: Arthur Miller <arthur.miller@live.com>
>> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
>> Date: Sun, 05 Dec 2021 09:16:50 +0100
>>
>> I have been back to windows now, and got server/dameon to work again, paths
>> fixed etc. Then I have experienced something I think is a bug and wanted to
>> test it in a clean Emacs, so I started new instance with -Q option. I copied
>> text from my customized Emacs with by marking text and using kill-ring-save
>> (M-w). In clean Emacs I pasted it with yank (C-y) and result came out
>> completely scrambled, screenshot included.
>
> I think the reason for this is in your customizations in Emacs from
> which you did the M-w.  It sounds like it somehow uses an encoding
> other than UTF-16 to encode the text it puts into the clipboard.

Ok. I'll investigate. This is same setup I had since quite some time, so it is a
bit strange, but Emacs has evolved.

>> Regarding what I think is bug; I can't make a frame from elisp if I pass in
>> both
>> width and height.
>
> Can you please separate the bugs?  This is unrelated to the issue with
> copy/paste.

I actually wanted to investigate what is going on and potentially write a bug
repport, but got all those other issues, couldn't even sent mail from gnus, so I
got back to Arch :).

>> This code gives me "memory exhausted .." error (C stack
>> overflow?):
>>
>> (defvar emw--frame nil)
>>
>> (let ((w (display-pixel-width))
>>       (h (display-pixel-height)))
>>         (setq emw--frame (make-frame
>>                           `((width . ,w)
>>                             (height . ,h)
>>                             (visibility . t)
>>                             (auto-raise . nil)
>>                             (skip-taskbar . t)
>>                             (no-focus-on-map . t)
>>                             (no-accept-focus . t)
>>                             (undecorated . t)
>>                             (unsplittable . t)
>>                             (z-group . below)
>>                             (no-other-frame . t)
>>                             (minibuffer . nil)
>>                             (tool-bar-lines . 0)
>>                             (menu-bar-lines . 0)
>>                             (left-fringe . 0)
>>                             (right-fringe . 0)
>>                             (border-width . 0)
>>                             (internal-border-width . 0)
>>                             (vertical-scroll-bars . nil)
>>                             (horizontal-scroll-bars . nil)))))
>
> When I evaluate the above in "emacs -Q", Emacs signals an error:
>
>   (error "Value ‘below’ for z-group is not supported on Windows")
>
> So I wonder why you get a different result.  What version of Emacs is
> that?

As said, I get that error you saw on the screenshot. I didn't see that message
about z-group. It is a couple of days ago, when I started the thread.

I'll go back to windows later this evening and try to work out more what is
going on.