Re: Enabling native compilation by default when libgccjit is present

From: Michael Heerdegen
Subject: Re: Enabling native compilation by default when libgccjit is present
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2021 03:25:03 +0100

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

> But once we agree to have it compile automatically, it should be clear
> that messages related to compilation will be produced, and ignoring
> those messages might not necessarily be a good idea.

Once this gets the default, the following will happen: regular users
that are not programmers will install packages and libraries, and then
they will get the popup warning windows.  For Elisp developers this is
good and useful, but for regular users this will cause confusion and
annoy for no gain.  That's my concern.  Maybe the popup of the window
should be opt-in - unless it's due to my config that the window
containing the warnings pops up and even raises its frame.

Michael.