Re: persistent data feature

From: Alexandre Garreau
Subject: Re: persistent data feature
Date: Sat, 11 Dec 2021 19:38:34 +0100

Le sabato, 11-a de decembro 2021, 16-a horo kaj 38:10 CET Tomas Hlavaty a
écrit :
> On the other hand, my notmuch (emacs email reader) database is 30GB and
> lives externally out of emacs without issues.

in what format is it? sexps?

> Why link sqlite and not xapian?
> Where does it stop?

Yeah and why not akonadi and then mysql, which it uses.

Akonadi is the reason why I wish so much to switch again from kmail to
gnus, because it takes 100% of the cpu all the time, and yet makes kmail
slows and extreeemely buggy most of the time (loosing mail, hanging
forever to open some mails, some mails gets unreadable and undeletable,
etc.).  The database is mostly corrupted but since it’s complex I have no
fucking idea of how to fix it.  The only “database” I’m understanding
anything to, here, is the list of mail, which is a bunch of recursive
maildirs… but apparently these are not enough, and I regularely find myself
to delete all akonadi data and loose a lot of metadata, thinking that I
may one day reimport all the maildirs into gnus, and regenerate a lot of
nov databases during one long day…

…but I still don’t switch, because the way kmail stores mail is of course
at least partially incompatible with gnus, because all these databases are
so complex…

And I think that a fear of getting a such thing into emacs, under the
excuse that “for the developer, it works” and that “it brings more
features” is what makes people afraid from something even as minimal as
sqlite… for emacs is one of the very few software to be minimal and
transparent enough to have a better situation than sqlite