Re: persistent data feature

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: persistent data feature
Date: Sun, 12 Dec 2021 22:42:41 -0500

  > > Also I find the trend of linking everything into the emacs process
  > > concerning:

  > What's the alternative? to reinvent all the wheels in Emacs's own
  > code? to use external programs? something else?  Rejecting a trend for
  > which there are no better alternatives is not smart.

For any given facility, I see these alternatives to consider:
(1) Link it in statically.
(2) Use an external program in a subprocess.
(3) Use a dynamically linked module.
(4) Write it in Lisp.
(5) Decline to support it.

Each of them may be the best choice in some cases.

If we conclude that we are using (1) too readily,
that wouldn't imply we should reject it entirely henceforth,
but would lead us to be more ready to choose the others.