Re: persistent data feature

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: persistent data feature
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2021 11:44:09 -0500

> That would be cool.  That would make “canonical” extensions more akin to
> users’ one, and would reduce the gap between user hacking and standard
> development (akin to the “absence of keywords” of lisp, and to the fact
> users’ extensions can look like core features), encourage hacking, and
> equality of emacs’ hackers.
>
> Plus I like the idea you can install libraries separatly from the end
> software, before or after, and remove them at wish.

That was my original intention when I pushed for the addition of
loadable modules.  I suspect we need to significantly improve our
loadable module support before it can become reality.

In the mean time, maybe we could try and make the non-w32 world use
a similar approach to the one used in the w32 code, so support for
sqlite/gnutls/whathaveyou is compiled-in but Emacs still works
properly if the .so is missing at run-time.

        Stefan