Re: persistent data feature

From: Alexandre Garreau
Subject: Re: persistent data feature
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2021 06:10:30 +0100

Le merkredo, 15-a de decembro 2021, 17-a horo kaj 44:09 CET Stefan Monnier
a écrit :
> > That would be cool.  That would make “canonical” extensions more akin
> > to users’ one, and would reduce the gap between user hacking and
> > standard development (akin to the “absence of keywords” of lisp, and
> > to the fact users’ extensions can look like core features), encourage
> > hacking, and equality of emacs’ hackers.
> >
> > Plus I like the idea you can install libraries separatly from the end
> > software, before or after, and remove them at wish.
>
> That was my original intention when I pushed for the addition of
> loadable modules.  I suspect we need to significantly improve our
> loadable module support before it can become reality.
>
> In the mean time, maybe we could try and make the non-w32 world use
> a similar approach to the one used in the w32 code, so support for
> sqlite/gnutls/whathaveyou is compiled-in but Emacs still works
> properly if the .so is missing at run-time.

oh yes indeed it would be very cool! plus doesn’t gnu and especially emacs
has some sort of policy saying we shouldn’t support some feature on
proprietary systems and not on free ones? granted here it’s minor (because
we already have fully working package managers on free systems while
windows more need this as it doesn’t, but still, that’s a robustness
characteristic)