Re: master 3d38d1d: Add sqlite3 support to Emacs

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: master 3d38d1d: Add sqlite3 support to Emacs
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2021 09:30:35 +0100

Po Lu <luangruo@yahoo.com> writes:

>> One simple possibility would be to have a whitelist of useful (and
>> free) sqlite plugins.  I doubt it'd be very long.
>
> How would that work?  Not many SQLite plugin binaries are reproducible,
> and unlike GStreamer their names do not have any special meaning.

Just a list of names.  There is, after all, no actual technical way to
stop anybody from loading whatever they want into the Emacs binary, from
playing games with LD_PRELOAD to rebuilding Emacs.  All the "technical"
things we do (checksumming, checking for symbols with GPL in them) are
just a way of saying "we'd rather not cater to this use case".

But users are welcome to do whatever they want to, of course.  It's free
software.  (And we couldn't stop them even if we wanted to, fortunately.)