Re: sqlite3

From: Qiantan Hong
Subject: Re: sqlite3
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2021 17:43:18 +0000

>>> I don't see a reason, no.
>> It’s a more general interface, and could be useful for
>> more programs.
>
> We don't yet have a good enough understanding of how useful the
> current interface is.  Extending and generalizing without any good
> idea where we want to go is not something I'd like to do in Emacs.
If we start with the store.el interface, we probably won’t even have
considered something like multisession.el’s interface. FWIW store.el
interface is designed independent from multisession.el, the latter
just happen to fall into a subset of store.el.

The aim of store.el is very clear: it provides a generic persistent key-value
store of Lisp values.

> We just started this experiment, let's see how it unfolds before
> considering our next steps.
Putting the more specialized multisession.el interface in master means
we will need to provide backward compatibility even if at some point
store.el is added. I don’t see any downside of the other way — providing
just store.el interface from the beginning.