Re: sqlite3

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: sqlite3
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2021 16:47:31 +0100

Qiantan Hong <qhong@mit.edu> writes:

> Basically, printing the key as file name does not guarantee distinguishing
> the key
> 1. Even if one escape the key, the printed representation may be larger
>   than 255 bytes, or 8bytes in FAT32 (idk if any one still use it). In
> such case,
>   two different key may give the same filename because the prefix is
>   the same

Well, I don't think we care about FAT, but I think it'd be fine to limit
the key length to 255 bytes.

> 2. What’s worse, some FS are case insensitive.

That's a concern, yes, but again it's not particularly relevant for
persistent variables.  (If you have variables in the same package that
only differs by case, I don't know what to say.)

I did consider just using sha1 of all the keys as the file names, and
then storing the actual key in the file as well, but it seems like
over-engineering (and it makes things less understandable for users
poking around).