Re: Contradictiory directions

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Contradictiory directions
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2021 12:09:48 +0200

> Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2021 10:41:01 +0100
> Cc: Óscar Fuentes <ofv@wanadoo.es>, emacs-devel@gnu.org
> From:  <tomas@tuxteam.de>
>
> > That rings a bell: it's what I heard 20 years ago about XEmacs vs GNU
> > Emacs when I talked (in person) to its main developers.  The rest is
> > history.
>
> I think it is still relevant. Big corps have learnt to ride the waves
> since then.

Nothing new here: XEmacs started because a certain company wanted to
make profits from it, and was unhappy with the pace and directions of
the Emacs development.

> They still want some kind of user [1] control, but they know they can't
> be as ham-fisted as they used to be in the '8ies and '90ies.

If you pay too much attention to details, you can never learn from
past experience, because there's no exact repetition of precisely the
same circumstances.  Which details are important and which aren't is a
non-trivial judgment call, and I guess we differ in how we make that
call.  Which might mean you are right and I'm wrong, of course.

However, my point was that Óscar approaches the issue in a too
simplistic way (if I take what he wrote as the description of his
approach), and that there's more here than meets the eye.