Re: Migrating to sourcehut - what's missing?

From: Philip Kaludercic
Subject: Re: Migrating to sourcehut - what's missing?
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2021 21:24:15 +0000

> Theodor Thornhill <theo@thornhill.no> writes:
>
>>> Preferably any gotchas when installing should be noted down somewhere
>>> (e.g. sent to emacs-devel).
>>>
>>> Next, I would start looking into those things that are still missing.
>>> For starters, they would need to be listed and it should be ensured that
>>> there are good feature requests on the sourcehut issue tracker.  If the
>>> sourcehut developers are willing to implement those things then great,
>>> otherwise it would be obviously be very useful if someone would
>>> volunteer to start working on those things.
>>>

>> Actually, I think that running Sourcehut as a local instance wouldn't
>> really be necessary for the evaluation, because it is the same code that
>> is running on sr.ht.  Apart from the fiddly bits with self hosting, the
>> workflow should be the same.  I'd encourage people on this list getting
>> their own user there and trying it out, as I think many already have.
>> Specifically, emacs-devel would want to use the `meta`, `lists`, `git`,
>> `todo` and `builds` subprojects, that is all apart from the `hg` one.
>
> I wonder if it would make sense to have one of the maintainers sign up
> there and start a "pretend" official Emacs repo. They could start a
> mailing list alongside it that we could play with, and who knows, maybe
> that would eventually become the "real" official sr.ht repo.
>
> Eric

So that would be something like git.sr.ht/~eliz/emacs or
git.sr.ht/~lars/emacs?  This makes me wonder how "hard coded" the user
names are in the sourcehut code base.  Assuming the GNU project would
host its sourcehut instance on the domain git.gnu.org, srht.gnu.org,
source.gnu.org, or whatever, would it still be possible to remove the
"~..." username part? (I know this is as minor of an issue as it gets,
it's just curiosity).

Until then, it seems that the username "~gnu" is not taken.  Maybe
someone more entitled than me could mirror a few repositories over there
for testing purposes?

--
        Philip Kaludercic