Re: Awful completion buffer behaviour

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Awful completion buffer behaviour
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2021 14:53:51 +0200

> From: Po Lu <luangruo@yahoo.com>
> Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2021 11:10:57 +0800
>
> Pressing tab in the minibuffer when a completions buffer is visible used
> to scroll the window containing that buffer.
>
> In Emacs 29, it selects that window instead, and moves point to the next
> visible completion.
>
> That behaviour is horrid, and even worse, I didn't find a NEWS entry
> detailing how to turn it off (it should be off by default anyway).
>
> Please remove the offending change or put it behind a switch.  Thanks.

I agree that this new behavior is an unpleasant surprise for me.

I'm not sure I understand the purpose of the month-long experiment
with turning this on by default.  Is it to decide whether it will stay
on in Emacs 29?  If so, the experiment can be terminated now: we will
not make this the default, certainly not in Emacs 29, and maybe not
even in Emacs 30.  It is too radical departure of age-old Emacs
behavior in the default completion commands.

If the reason for the experiment is to decide whether to revert this
change because this behavior is hated too much, we can continue with
the experiment, of course.  But I don't see why we shouldn't offer
this as optional behavior anyway, so I think the experiment is not
needed, and the best way ahead is to document this as optional
behavior, and turn it off by default.

Thanks.