Re: Awful completion buffer behaviour

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: Awful completion buffer behaviour
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2021 19:40:00 +0200

> I'm not sure I understand the purpose of the month-long experiment
> with turning this on by default.  Is it to decide whether it will stay
> on in Emacs 29?  If so, the experiment can be terminated now: we will
> not make this the default, certainly not in Emacs 29, and maybe not
> even in Emacs 30.  It is too radical departure of age-old Emacs
> behavior in the default completion commands.
>
> If the reason for the experiment is to decide whether to revert this
> change because this behavior is hated too much, we can continue with
> the experiment, of course.  But I don't see why we shouldn't offer
> this as optional behavior anyway, so I think the experiment is not
> needed, and the best way ahead is to document this as optional
> behavior, and turn it off by default.

Like Philip already said the idea was to gather feedback,
both positive and negative, to decide how to develop this feature further.

Note that no one complained about the default value of another variable
'completion-wrap-movement' that is enabled now too.

So now it's clear we have two possible directions: try to find such new keys
that don't get in the way in the long-standing usage scenarios, and provide
more variables (possibly optional) for customization.