Re: Touchscreen support

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Touchscreen support
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2021 22:43:10 -0500

  > > 2. Is it possible for Emacs to work with that new method?

  > Yes, but that would require very large changes.  For instance, Lisp code
  > wouldn't be able to create frames anymore, that task instead being
  > delegated to GTK+.

I am confused by this statement.  The first half seems to talk about
the interface for Lisp code, while the second talks about internals.
Why can't Lisp code direct GTK+ to create a new frame?

There may be a reason, I'm only saying I can't yet see why so.

  > > 3. Surely Emacs is not the only system that handles user-defined
  > > menus.  How do the others work with GTK or with GNOME?

  > The GTK developers have decided that those applications are undesirable,
  > so they are not supported anymore.

Does this mean they have decided not to support Emacs any more?
Have they said anything about this problem?

  >   This is why I defined a
  > custom menu bar widget that tries to imitate the look of the built-in
  > widget in my (WIP) port of Emacs to GTK 4, instead of working around its
  > deliberate limitations.

If that solution remains possible, I guess the problem isn't so bad --
a least, not with X11.

But maybe with the new fashion in toolkits that solution won't exist
any more.  Is that what you're saying?