Re: Touchscreen support

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Touchscreen support
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2021 23:16:20 -0500

  > For example, programs in GTK+ aren't supposed to create windows or
  > widgets manually anymore.  Instead, GTK provides a system to create
  > "applications", which run in the background and respond to requests to
  > open files or to display a default window, and it also provides an
  > XML-based format for describing the layout of widgets and windows.

1. You say "anymore", so I wonder what that refers to.  Is this a
change that was made in GTK+ since we started using it in Emacs?  Do
you have a rough idea of when that change was made?

2. Is it possible for Emacs to work with that new method?

3. Surely Emacs is not the only system that handles user-defined
menus.  How do the others work with GTK or with GNOME?

  > In GTK 4, menus cannot even be modified by applications on-the-fly
  > anymore.  You are again supposed to use a GTK-specific XML format to
  > describe the menus of your application in a way that cannot be changed
  > at run-time.

This is amazing.  Applications are not supposed to support dynamic
menus at all???

Is it possible for an application to submit a new XML file
to specify modified menus?