Re: Development Speed

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Development Speed
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2021 23:16:24 -0500

  > I cannot see the future or what could've been, this is highly opinionated
  > but I do believe following latest C standard as early as possible is good
  > for an ...

As has been pointed out, we support lots of platforms, including old
platforms, and some of them don't have fresh new compilers.  If we
wanted to be quick to tell users "tough, your platform is no longer
supported," we could assume everyone has the latest GCC to use.
But those platforms are important.

Some of those old platforms are among the most important ones
because they allow operation without the Intel Management Engine
(or AMD's counterpart to that).

Our principles say we must do our best to encourage people to use a
free compiler if that is at all possible.  If the only C17 compiler
for a platform is nonfree, we must support using GCC instead.