Re: Development Speed

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Development Speed
Date: Thu, 23 Dec 2021 23:13:54 -0500

I was talking about the need for nonfree software in the software load
to make the computer work.

You've changed to a different issue: whether the hardware itself
is malicious.

There IS known malicious hardware in our computers.  The Management
Engine (and its AMD counterpart).  HDCP.  TPM.  Other DRM hardware.
Malicious hardware is as bad as malicious software -- it's the
same issue.

But hardware and software are different issues in other respects.

See https://gnu.org/philosophy/free-hardware-designs.html for the GNU
Project stand on hardware.