Re: Development Speed

From: Óscar Fuentes
Subject: Re: Development Speed
Date: Thu, 23 Dec 2021 11:13:15 +0100

Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> writes:

>   > > Some of those old platforms are among the most important ones
>   > > because they allow operation without the Intel Management Engine
>   > > (or AMD's counterpart to that).
>
>   > Aren't there modern machines without this? Machines that are much more
>   > performant, reliable and secure than those old ones, which usually are
>   > tied to an unsupported OS full of security defects?
>
> Not that I've heard of.  Every so often I check whether there has been
> progress.

AFAIK there are multiple machines that offer more computing power (on
terms of CPU, RAM, storage, etc) than the typical medium-range PC from
15 years ago. AFAIK a humble Raspberry Pi fits that description and it
has a fraction of the propietary firmware most of those old PCs have.

Then we have some vendors that specialize on providing PCs with as few
binary blobs as possible, with IME and its equivalents disabled.

I agree that it is difficult to acquire a new computer which is
completely Free, but it is fairly easy to get a new computer which
contains far less proprietary elements than the typical PC sold before
IME became a thing.

>   > > Our principles say we must do our best to encourage people to use a
>   > > free compiler if that is at all possible.  If the only C17 compiler
>   > > for a platform is nonfree, we must support using GCC instead.
>
>   > Nobody suggested using anything else than GCC.
>
> Your general demand would, under some circumstances, imply that.

I can't imagine those circunstances, since Gcc is the most ubiquitous
compiler out there.

>   > I'm having the feeling that a good chunk of participants on this ml are
>   > unwittingly but firmly commited to confine Emacs to the same
>   > retro-computing world they live in.
>
> Your verbal aggression is very unkind,

What you call verbal aggression I call speaking own's mind. It is not
like as if I throwed that paragraph out of the blue, there is a lot of
context.

> and makes discussing with you unpleasant.
>
> We don't need your approval or agreement, so the aggression
> won't win you anything.
>
> Please try to follow the GNU Kind Communication Guidelines,
> https://gnu.org/philosophy/kind-communication.html.  Cooperating,
> to whatever extent we have goals in common, will be much easier
> if you do that.

The very first guideline is:

   Please assume other participants are posting in good faith, even if
   you disagree with what they say.