Re: Development Speed

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Development Speed
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2021 22:43:45 -0500

  > > Some of those old platforms are among the most important ones
  > > because they allow operation without the Intel Management Engine
  > > (or AMD's counterpart to that).

  > Aren't there modern machines without this? Machines that are much more
  > performant, reliable and secure than those old ones, which usually are
  > tied to an unsupported OS full of security defects?

Not that I've heard of.  Every so often I check whether there has been
progress.

  > Have we checked lately if those machines that we purport to support are
  > able to run anything more complex than `emacs -Q'?

I check this all day, every day.

  > > Our principles say we must do our best to encourage people to use a
  > > free compiler if that is at all possible.  If the only C17 compiler
  > > for a platform is nonfree, we must support using GCC instead.

  > Nobody suggested using anything else than GCC.

Your general demand would, under some circumstances, imply that.

  > I'm having the feeling that a good chunk of participants on this ml are
  > unwittingly but firmly commited to confine Emacs to the same
  > retro-computing world they live in.

Your verbal aggression is very unkind, and makes discussing with you
unpleasant.  We don't need your approval or agreement, so the aggression
won't win you anything.

Please try to follow the GNU Kind Communication Guidelines,
https://gnu.org/philosophy/kind-communication.html.  Cooperating,
to whatever extent we have goals in common, will be much easier
if you do that.