Re: Variable pitch mode line

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: Variable pitch mode line
Date: Sat, 25 Dec 2021 19:54:14 +0200

>>> I also don't understand how an HTML-based Info reader will handle (for
>>> example) I-search through an entire manual without rendering it all in
>>> one go.
>
>> We don't have to render the HTML to search in it -- parsing the HTML is
>> enough (and is quick), and then we can just search in the DOM and then
>> render the node we find the match in.  It's just a small matter of
>> programming.
>
> It seems a bit scary to me.  For example, how would I quickly find "see
> Optimize Options", if that was generated by a pxref, where the "see" and
> "Optimize Options" are in different nodes?

Assuming no styles are used that could hide content, it would be much
simpler and fast just to strip all HTML tags from the HTML file, e.g.

  Emacs Lisp Reference Manual</cite>.</p>

will become

  For information on extending Emacs,
  see Emacs Lisp in The
  Emacs Lisp Reference Manual.

where you can search for "see Emacs Lisp".