Re: Variable pitch mode line

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Variable pitch mode line
Date: Sun, 26 Dec 2021 13:56:41 +0200

> From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org>
> Cc: luangruo@yahoo.com,  tsdh@gnu.org,  emacs-devel@gnu.org,
>   monnier@iro.umontreal.ca,  juri@linkov.net
> Date: Sun, 26 Dec 2021 12:51:59 +0100
>
> Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:
>
> > Not really.  But if the preformatted regions have hard newlines, that
> > will happen automagically.  I believe the HTML produced by makeinfo
> > uses hard newlines in blocks that must not be reflowed, isn't that
> > right?
>
> I'm not sure what you mean by "hard newline" here?  HTML sections that
> shouldn't be reflowed are in <pre> tags and the like, but there's
> nothing special about the newline characters in the HTML.

The text that needs to be reflowed doesn't include newlines, except at
ends of paragraphs, right?  So those are very long lines that
visual-line-mode will divide into screen line by wrapping.

By contrast, in <pre> blocks each line ends in a newline, and the lines
are supposed to be short enough to fit in a normal-size window.  So
now wrapping should be needed.

Or what did I miss?