Re: On Contributing To Emacs

From: Philip Kaludercic
Subject: Re: On Contributing To Emacs
Date: Sun, 26 Dec 2021 18:46:12 +0000

xenodasein--- via "Emacs development discussions." <emacs-devel@gnu.org>
writes:

> Dec 25, 2021, 23:18 by philipk@posteo.net:
>
>> xenodasein--- via "Emacs development discussions." <emacs-devel@gnu.org>
>> writes:
>>
>>> Dec 25, 2021, 22:03 by eliz@gnu.org:

>>> What I meant was that straight.el should have been a part of Emacs,
>>> in some form, as an improvement of package.el infrastructure.
>>>
>>> Instead, the actual change contributed was primarily a way to disable
>>> package.el.
>>
>> Do you mean that package.el should be extended by straight.el-like
>> functionality, or that straight.el (or a substitute) should be added to
>> Emacs?
>
> The effort spent on it should have both improved existing package.el
> and also add straight.el like functionality to it.  Whether it is all
> under feature 'package or multiple features.

I have been thinking implementing something like this, where package.el
could handle a

      ;; VC: https://source.com/package.git

like header that would indicate where the source code for a package was
being managed and could be downloaded and prepared (autoload, load-path
overriding the default package, ...) when requested.

Building on or in parallel to this, a mechanism to simplify the sending
of patches to the author or friends would also be a good thing to have.

--
        Philip Kaludercic