Re: On Contributing To Emacs

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: On Contributing To Emacs
Date: Mon, 27 Dec 2021 23:21:18 -0500

  > I believe straight.el (the maintainer and contributors) is part of the
  > MELPA-adjacent "milieu", so I don't think anyone could really make them
  > change their mind.

  > This shouldn't matter either way if the important functionality is
  > replicated in package.el.

That's a valid point.

  > * Not all packages are immediately added to an ELPA.  It is often the
  >   case that a developer might develop it for a while in a Git
  >   repository, before submitting it somewhere.  This feature allows a
  >   curious user to install it, as if it were a package

I don't follow the logic -- perhaps because you've stated your idea in
an abstract way.  You have something in mind but your words don't
explain it to people like me.

Why is anything special needed to "install the package as if it were a
package"?  What does that even mean?  Why isn't it enough just to
instantiate its repository and use it straightaway?

  > * If for whatever reason a package maintainer falls behind, and a fork
  >   continues development, you could simply specify the repository of the
  >   fork and use that instead.

Isn't this part of normal use of git?

What job is the "formula" supposed to do?