Re: On Contributing To Emacs

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: On Contributing To Emacs
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2021 12:21:13 -0500

> It's very easy to say "the best choice would have been to fix
> package.el", and a lot harder to put in the years of work required
> to actually do that. From a purely technical point of view, I stand
> by my decision to create a separate project as I believe it was a
> much more effective way of quickly bringing about positive change
> in the ecosystem, even if the end result was to merge things back
> together in the long run.

FWIW, I fully agree and I think I would have done exactly the same
thing.  On many other occasions I've basically done the same.
It's actually the standard way for things to happen in Emacs (and
probably in many other projects): you first start from scratch based on
a new idea, see where it leads you.  Later on, once the idea has
matured, you may want to go back and see if it can be better integrated
with existing elements, but doing so from the start is rarely a good idea.

        Stefan