Re: master 18b680cfd1: Fix bug#52467 by adding a new custom variable 'di

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: master 18b680cfd1: Fix bug#52467 by adding a new custom variable 'display-comint-buffer-action'
Date: Wed, 29 Dec 2021 16:00:44 +0100

Sam Steingold <sds@gnu.org> writes:

>     Fix bug#52467 by adding a new custom variable
> 'display-comint-buffer-action'
>
>     * lisp/window.el (display-comint-buffer-action): New `defcustom`,
>     defaults to 'display-buffer-same-window' for backward compatibility.

Others have noted the technical problems with this patch, but as the
discussion in bug#52467 showed, Emacs already has capabilities for
customising the behaviour here (via the general display machinery), and
adding something cross-cutting but specific to the coming-derived modes
just seems odd to me, so I'd be in favour of reverting this patch.

Any opinions?  Eli?