Re: Horrible File menu

From: Rudolf Adamkovič
Subject: Re: Horrible File menu
Date: Tue, 01 Feb 2022 22:27:09 +0100

Juri Linkov <juri@linkov.net> writes:

> where the last item with the checkbox looks very ugly.

It look great on macOS, FYI.

> These useless items are pushing off-screen other useful items
> that are below them such as the Quit item and the Print submenu
> with Print items that were originally on the File menu but were
> moved to the submenu from the overgrowing menu.

I like the idea of sub-menus.

> Why not to show the Undelete frame item only when at least one frame
> was deleted?

101 "classical" UX, from back when research guided the field instead of
fashion, teaches us that hiding menu items like that leads to confusion.
All menu items should live in one place.  Always.  If not applicable, we
can disable them.  Just because we can make everything dynamic, it does
not mean we should, IMO.

> And why require enabling this feature before the deleted
> frame can be undeleted?  Are a few kilobytes of memory used by the
> deleted frame data a real concern?

I find this strange as well.

Rudy
--
"Programming reliably -- must be an activity of an undeniably
mathematical nature […] You see, mathematics is about thinking, and

Rudolf Adamkovič <salutis@me.com> [he/him]
Studenohorská 25
84103 Bratislava
Slovakia