Re: Native compilation on Windows, was Re: Bootstrap Compilation Speed

From: Corwin Brust
Subject: Re: Native compilation on Windows, was Re: Bootstrap Compilation Speed
Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2022 21:22:37 -0600

Ahoy Dieter!

On Tue, Feb 1, 2022 at 6:45 AM H. Dieter Wilhelm
<dieter@duenenhof-wilhelm.de> wrote:

> I realised that ntldd.exe doesn't show any msys/mingw dependencies at
> all, only Windows stuff! -> So I removed all Windows references from
> PATH.  (Don't ask me why ntldd searches Windows paths first.)
>
> Then, it seem's, that the msys/mingw people changed the tree layout of
> their files!  When I'm changing "msys64" with "mingw64" in
> build-dep-zips.py:
[snip]
>           ## if len(splt) > 2 and "msys64" in splt[2]:
>           if len(splt) > 2 and "mingw64" in splt[2]:

With this, we are much closer.   New set is uploaded to the
with-native-compilation folder in the usual Not Sure If We Are Ready
For Prime Time location[1].

This version has 62 DLLs as were listed in the txt file attached to my
recent reply to to Phil in this same thread.  I still need to review
those against the 77 you reported from 27.2 but that's not going to be
tonight.

Meanwhile, I tested these (using the zip with deps version) on kiddos
gaming rig and verified that the tests from w32-feature pass,
package-refresh-package works, and various types of image load.  I
also checked with ProcessExplorer that I'm not loading DLLs except
those provided with the dist and those under some windows/system path.

As an interesting aside:  I see that it *is* loading the natively
compiled sources that were build and packaged with Emacs.  This is
despite getting a nil return from `native-comp-avialable-p', which
suggests that even people without a local libgccjit+gcc (e.g. a
working MSYS) can benefit from (the bundled) nativly compiled sources
we distribute.  [[stroking chin myscheviously]]

Please let me know if you think these are ready to push to alpha.

Attached are dffs for admin/nt/dist-build thus far.

[1] https://git.sr.ht/~mplscorwin/emacs-w64