Re: Compatibility

From: Po Lu
Subject: Re: Compatibility
Date: Mon, 07 Feb 2022 19:57:02 +0800

>> But, why?  Things don't stop working just because, you/an admin makes
>> the choice of replacing the current software with a different, newer
>> one.

Sorry, but that choice was made over two decades ago, so you have to
adapt.  Unless, of course, you stay with Emacs 23 and Qt 2, and not run
any X client written in the past two decades.

> Bu they do. Hardware change. User expectations change, because new users
> enter the scene. Environments change. Not long ago (in geological terms)
> people in my bubble were cutting and pasting with selection/middle mouse
> button, nowadays, with CTRL-C/CTRL_V. "My" bubble has been "invaded" by
> Windows users, so to speak. OTOH, that is a Good Thing, because more
> people get exposed to the idea of free software, ain't it?

Potential tangent, but I really don't believe that this consensus was
influenced by MS-Windows users.  Rather, it was formed by people
generally agreeing that using the primary selection to hold cut text
made little to no sense.  For instance, the "Cut" menu item in most
applications would do nothing at all, if it only stored cut text in the
primary selection.

On systems with no primary selection (which Emacs supports), it's even
more meaningless.