Re: [External] : emacs-28 windows binaries available from alpha

From: Andrea Corallo
Subject: Re: [External] : emacs-28 windows binaries available from alpha
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2022 14:44:05 +0000

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> From: Andrea Corallo <akrl@sdf.org>
>> Cc: dieter@duenenhof-wilhelm.de, corwin@bru.st, emacs-devel@gnu.org
>> Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2022 14:18:45 +0000

>> > This is unlikely to happen if the user has libgccjit installed: if it
>> > is found when building Emacs, it will most probably be also found when
>> > running it.
>>
>> Because is unlikely is suspect might be of interest in this case.
>
> Maybe so, but we don't provide any similar diagnostics for any other
> optional DLL.

I see, that's why I was in doubt, but this is perhaps more critical as
Emacs may not function as expected.

>> > So the warning will mostly show when the user installed Emacs built by
>> > someone else.  In which case, the user already made the decision not
>> > to install libgccjit, so warning the user about that would be in
>> > many/most cases redundant.
>>
>> How do we know the user made this decision intentionally?
>
> We assume they read the documentation, which tells them about the
> optional libraries.

Say the user did, but for some reason Emacs can't find libgccjit even if
the user thought it's installed correctly.  How the user is supposed to
detect this if we made it all transparent?

Thanks

  Andrea