Re: native-comp write path?

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: native-comp write path?
Date: Sat, 12 Feb 2022 12:59:08 -0500

>> I'd like to move the directory inside the XDG_CACHE hierarchy
> IMO, this is a mistake: the eln-cache is supposed to be more
> persistent than XDG_CACHE, and even more than the entire XDG
> hierarchy.  It isn't really a "cache" in the XDG sense.

Really?  I thought the main defining feature of "cache" is that any of
those files can be thrown away an the system will work as well (tho
potentially a bit less efficiently) and the files will/can be
transparently re-generated if/when needed.

The files in eln-cache seem to fit the description.
Or is XDG's cache not expected to survive a login session?

        Stefan