Re: Include which-key.el in the Emacs distribution

From: Philip Kaludercic
Subject: Re: Include which-key.el in the Emacs distribution
Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2022 17:30:30 +0000

Corwin Brust <corwin@bru.st> writes:

> On Tue, Sep 8, 2020 at 3:41 PM Stefan Kangas <stefan@marxist.se> wrote:
>>
>> Ergus <spacibba@aol.com> writes:
>>
>> > I really love which-key but enabling it by default for everyone could be
>> > a bit premature. Maybe adding a very easy to find option in the toolbar
>> > could be a better first step?
>> >
>> > So the ones (like me) who love it can improve it until it becomes ready
>> > to be default without the complains if the other who doesn't.
>>
>> Yes, we should definitely make any necessary improvements before
>> considering to make it the default.  I believe that's what Stefan M was
>> also arguing, so I see no disagreement on that point.
>>

> Hi all.  Having `which-key' available in core remains popular, at least on
> IRC.
>
> Now that it is available from GNU Elpa I wonder what is left to do and
> if there appears hope of including it with Emacs 29.

My first question is why it should be added to the core, given that it
can be installed with a single command OOTB?  My impression from using
(and seeing other people use) which-key would have me say that the UX it
provides goes contrary to the "style" that core functionality uses
traditionally (what other cases are there where not doing something
modifies the window configuration, the closes commonly used
functionality would be eldoc that displays information in the
minibuffer).

What I would be more interested in is to add optional support for C-h to
continue a command prefix, so that if I want to know what keys a keymap
provides, I can request it immediately without waiting for the idle
timer to trigger a often too small popup window, without loosing the
partial input.

--
        Philip Kaludercic