Re: Very slow check/nativecomp build

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: Very slow check/nativecomp build
Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2022 19:35:03 +0100

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

> As Stefan points out, this shouldn't happen.  So we should try and
> find the reason for such slowdown from using --enable-checking.

I wondered whether the 3x increase with --enable-checking=all was a
nativecomp phenomenon, but it seems to be the same without nativecomp.
It takes 2:30 to built the trunk with just ./configure, and about 8
minutes with checking.

I tried the same in emacs-28, and it's much the same story there:
Without checking, it's 2:20, and with checking it's 6:50.  So it's not a
new phenomenon that checking adds a multiplier to the build time, but it
seems to be worsening somewhat.