Re: MS Windows: ConPTY -- can cmdproxy be patched to allow PTY for cmd (

From: Jim Porter
Subject: Re: MS Windows: ConPTY -- can cmdproxy be patched to allow PTY for cmd (or "windows-bash")?
Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2022 11:30:24 -0800

On 2/19/2022 1:11 PM, Thomas Schwanberger wrote:
Quick background:
I'm forced to use MS Windows at work. In order to use tramp with my MSYS emacs 28.0.91 build for operating remote servers I have to do either of:

- plink
- fakecygpty with cygwin bash to simulate native "ssh" with only minor annoyances

For what it's worth, I've found that the Tramp "sshx" method works fairly well when using MS Windows (the "ssh" method doesn't work for me, and hangs when trying to connect, possibly due to PTY issues). You should be able to use the Microsoft-published OpenSSH with this, but I stumbled on a few corner cases and switched to using the MSYS ssh (conveniently provided along with Git for Windows) and haven't had any problems since.

Note: this might require a newish version of Tramp (e.g. from GNU ELPA) as well. There were a few issues in this area that have been fixed recently.

- Jim