Re: [ELPA] package proposal: fannypack.el

From: Philip Kaludercic
Subject: Re: [ELPA] package proposal: fannypack.el
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2022 20:02:43 +0000

Theodor Thornhill <theo@thornhill.no> writes:

> Philip Kaludercic <philipk@posteo.net> writes:
>

>> If I may ask, what is the background behind the name?  If added to ELPA,
>> it might be that users don't notice the package because neither the name
>> nor the tagline describes the functionality you describe below.
>
> Well, I'm bad at naming, and really don't know what to call it.  It
> started out as satchel, but I found fannypack more amusing.

I had to look up the Wikipedia page
(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fanny_pack) because I wasn't sure what
the word meant, and it mentions the word is considered "vulgar slang" in
the UK, Ireland and Australia.

> The name is nothing I'm married to, but when creating it I wanted to
> have a more fun name than say, "branch-files.el" or something like
> that.  But yeah, the name is not the best :)

I am biased and prefer boring names, but how about file-belt (as in
tool-belt), file-ring, file-bag/purse/sporran (see
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Template:Bags) or something
more esoteric like file-escritoire.

Of course these are just suggestions, the package seems otherwise very
interesting.

--
        Philip Kaludercic