ELPA package submission: buffer-env

From: Augusto Stoffel
Subject: ELPA package submission: buffer-env
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2022 19:53:54 +0100

I would like to propose the following package for inclusion in ELPA:

   https://github.com/astoff/buffer-env

The immediate purpose of the package (for me) is to deal with Python
virtualenvs.  But it should be useful when working on any project with
dependencies that are not globally installed.

Some time ago I started a thread on this list explaining why I thought
Emacs should have better support for setting the process environment per
project / buffer locally [1].  But it's not clear there's a case for a
built-in facility; and while this package is not extremely beautiful it
solves the matter satisfactorily.  So after quite some incubation time I
decided it's worth sharing.

I should also note that this package is a knock-off of the "envrc"
package from MELPA [2].  It's surely a fine package but it requires on
the direnv program, which to me seems like an unnecessary dependency.

[1]: https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2021-04/msg01376.html
[2]: https://github.com/purcell/envrc