Systematic implicit aliases for option variables

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Systematic implicit aliases for option variables
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2022 23:24:49 -0500

`occur' is an alias for the command `list-matching-lines'.
`occur' may be used by more people than `list-matching-lines'.

There are options named `list-matching-lines-*', but people who know
the command as `occur' may not think to look for options with those
names.

Does it make sense to define a command `customize-command' which takes
a command name as argument and shows you the options that are
pertinent to customizing that command?

If you give it `occur', it would recognize that that is an alias
for `list-matching-lines', and show you the options pertinent to
`list-matching-lines'.  You wouldn't need to know that `occur'
is an alias.

I think the hard part of this would be adding a data base to find the
custom groups that are pertinent to any particular command.