Re: NonGNU ELPA package submission: EPIO

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: NonGNU ELPA package submission: EPIO
Date: Fri, 01 Apr 2022 12:45:20 -0400

> I would like to submit my new EPIO (Emacs PlatformIO) package to
> NonGNU ELPA. It provides integration with the free software PlatformIO
> CLI for EMACS, and is loosely based on the semi-official PlatformIO
> package functionality wise-wise (though it is pretty much rewritten
> from the ground up code-wise, with highlights including the inclusion
> of TexInfo documentation and no dependence on Projectile).
> Thanks,

The description I find at https://git.sr.ht/~hutzdog/epio is rather
brief (e.g. mentions an old "PlatformIO-Mode" without any link to it nor
explanation of what it does and how it differs from your package).

Not knowing anything about PlatformIO, could you give some explanation
of what your package does.  Of particular interest w.r.t integration
into NonGNU ELPA is a clarification about what the package may download
from remote servers, if any, and what external tools it requires, if any.

The descriptions I find at https://platformio.org/ use words like
"place" and "platform" which makes it sound like it might depend on
a centralized server (which all too often force the use of proprietary
Javascript code), other places suggest that binary tools might be
downloaded from somewhere, again raising questions w.r.t Free
Software ideals.

        Stefan