Re: python minor-mode

From: Andreas Röhler
Subject: Re: python minor-mode
Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2022 09:49:14 +0200

Am 22.03.22 um 09:07 schrieb Stefan Monnier:
[...]
I don't really know how the two compare in functionality, but based on
size, I'd guess that we'd end up with Emacs's python.el being the "core"
mode and `python-mode.el` being the "derived" mode that provides
extra features.  Depending on how things end up, the derived mode could
be replaced with a minor mode.

An interesting idea, which may reduce the burden of maintenance  on  both sides.

The point I'm afraid of: For example, if python-mode.el uses python.el's setup-code machinery, it might want to modify vars there.

Afterwards it will be not obvious, wherefrom values are set. For now there should be no conflict, beside of the name of the major-mode itself.

So, not sure if proceeding in that direction would make sense.

Best,

Andreas

In any case, it's a non-trivial job which would require
someone to figure out all the details.

        Stefan