Re: master 3b41141708: Expose the name of an event's input device to Lis

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: master 3b41141708: Expose the name of an event's input device to Lisp
Date: Sat, 09 Apr 2022 18:41:52 +0200

> I don't know where's the better place in general but if it can be made
> via keymaps it might be preferable since we usually don't like commands
> to behave differently for different events, we prefer instead to have
> the keymaps decide which command to use for which event and then have
> the command be oblivious to the event.

I haven't followed this thread closely, but yes, that's the design I
hope we can end up with.

For instance, I have a pedal that's a USB HID thingie.  Amusingly
enough, stomping on the pedal gives me a "b" event.  The key "b",
indistinguishable from a "b" from the keyboard.

So if I could somehow say

(keymap-set global-mode-map "[device footpad]-b" 'do-something)

that would be ideal.