Re: master 3b41141708: Expose the name of an event's input device to Lis

From: Brian Cully
Subject: Re: master 3b41141708: Expose the name of an event's input device to Lisp
Date: Sat, 09 Apr 2022 13:52:52 -0400

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org>
>> (keymap-set global-mode-map "[device footpad]-b" 'do-something)
>>
>> that would be ideal.
>
> I would hope that such an event could be called just 'footpad-b', so
> that any device capable of such events could be implemented as
> emitting it, regardless of the device name/type/etc.

        I may have missed this earlier in the thread, but where would
these mappings of device identifier (name, USB VID:PID, whatever) to
device classes come from? How would that work for devices that can be
made to look like a *lot* of different input types?

        I’ve got a Steam Controller I can set up as a joystick, keyboard
(HID report and boot protocols), relative and absolute mouse, all at the
same time, and I can swap its functions on the fly. I’ve got a mouse
that can send both “pixel” scroll events as well as normal line-based
ones depending on how it’s configured. I have a programmable keyboard
that I can make look like any USB device I want.

     Is Emacs going to be responsible for mapping thousands of device
identifiers to device classes (which may change at runtime?) I just
don’t understand what this looks like from a user’s perspective.

-bjc