Re: Releasing small, not critical features as bugfixes

From: Po Lu
Subject: Re: Releasing small, not critical features as bugfixes
Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2022 19:45:01 +0800

emacsq <laszlomail@protonmail.com> writes:

> Emacs 28.1 was just released. Judging from the previous release
> history Emacs 29 is 1.5/2 years away.
>
> Such small, useful improvements which don't cause critical errors
> could be released along with Emacs 28 bugfixes, so users can get them
> earlier, instead of waiting for them for two years.
>
> Of course, there are bigger, more complex improvements which have to
> be tested thoroughly, but features like the above could be released
> sooner with the bugfixes, because they are pretty safe improvements.

Famous last words.  You'd be surprised at how much trouble seemingly
innoculous changes can cause.

> Or maybe there could be a branch like emacs-future where these small
> useful improvements could be put, so there is the stable banch (28),
> this low risk future branch (between 28 and 29) and the bleeding edge
> (29).

So that means we will have 3 branches actively diverging at the same
time.  Who will do the merges in between?

I think we already have enough trouble keeping the two actively
developed branches synchronized.  (When was the last time emacs-28 was
merged to master, for example?)

Adding a third to the mix is just asking for trouble, IMHO.

Thanks.