Re: Releasing small, not critical features as bugfixes

From: Po Lu
Subject: Re: Releasing small, not critical features as bugfixes
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2022 11:20:02 +0800

emacsq <laszlomail@protonmail.com> writes:

> A change in show paren, for example, has some risk, but much less risk
> than changes in native compilation, for example.
>
> People using this lower risk future branch would know they still use a
> testing branch, so they would expect occasional hiccups, of course.

A feature as low risk as changing a few lines in `shell-resync-dirs' for
it to handle whitespace was recently discovered to cause hangs.  What
would happen with an infinitely larger feature such as the change in
show-paren to display offscreen context?

> Code committers could tag their commits with some marker like "low
> risk" or such if they know their commits can work well as separate
> changes and and automatic process could merge these tagged changes
> automatically into this low risk future branch.

I would want to see such an automatic process.  Would you please work on
it?  That should make it possible to automatically merge emacs-28 to
master as well.

Thanks.