RE: [External] : Re: Completions and history

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: [External] : Re: Completions and history
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2022 15:49:49 +0000

> > Command `icicle-comint-command':
> >  Retrieve a previously used command.
> >  Use this in a `comint-mode' buffer such as `*shell*' or
> >  `*inferior-lisp*'.
>
> It seems `icicle-comint-command' does the same as
> `comint-dynamic-list-input-ring' bound to `C-c C-l'.

No, it doesn't.  The only similarity is that
they both let you choose a comint history item.

`icicle-comint-command' is a multi-command.  And
it shows completion candidates in *Completions*.

> Maybe the same key `C-c C-l' could be bound by default
> in the minibuffer to enable history completion?

Why would that be appropriate?

`C-c' followed by a control char is reserved for
major modes.  Even if Emacs has recently given the
minibuffer its own major mode (maybe a misfeature),
I think that such a key is inappropriate for the
minibuffer.

The major mode that's really involved (should be
anyway) when you use the minibuffer is the major
mode of the buffer where you activated use of the
minibuffer (at least at the outset of that
activation).

When in `comint-mode', it makes sense to have such
a key bound to such a command.  It doesn't make
sense to use that key for a minibuffer keymap, IMO.

> BTW, currently this command highlights the header line only partly.
> Here is a fix to keep text properties by replace-match:

That's orthogonal to the rest of your message, IIRC.
It's a change to `comint-dynamic-list-input-ring'.
I have no comment on that (other than it's unrelated
to the rest of your msg).