RE: [External] : Re: Completions and history

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: [External] : Re: Completions and history
Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2022 17:50:51 +0000

> For the record, Consult provides exactly that command (consult-history)
> and it works beautifully.  The same command also works in a few special
> modes like eshell and comint that have a notion of history.
>
> Unlike Ivy, the Consult command is not tied to a specific completion
> framework (I don't know how Icicles is in that regard).

I already said what Icicles offers in this regard.
Whether you consider it a "completion framework"
is up to you.  It's just a minor mode - easy to
turn on and off.

With Icicles:

You don't need any separate command, to complete
against the history, any more than with vanilla
Emacs you need a separate command to search, or
to cycle through, the input history.

For any use of the minibuffer (not just for use
with completion), you can at any time get previous
inputs in the usual Emacs ways or by completing.

And for completing there are a couple different
ways.  See my previous explanation here:

https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2021-12/msg00949.html

And the doc here:

https://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/Icicles_-_History_Enhancements