Re: etags name collision.

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: etags name collision.
Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2022 13:53:43 -0400

>    If there is the free and active universal ctags with a big and active
>    team doing that work and supporting many format and languages, then it
>    is pointless to duplicate effort and invest time on that.  Don't
>    reinvent the wheel.
>
> That is quite a dismissive comment, Emacs ctags existed long before
> any of those existed (and at that point, we did not have any ctags on
> GNU) so one might question who is reinventing the wheel here...

Hmm... if you're talking about the past then Emacs, Exhuberant Ctags,
and Universal Ctags have all reinventing the wheel here.  But that's the
past, what's done is done.

Ergus was talking about current efforts, where indeed it seems that
trying to invest effort into making our etags/ctags code work as well as
Universal Ctags is a kind of reinventing the wheel and the benefit
doesn't seem very clear.

        Stefan