Re: etags name collision.

From: Ergus
Subject: Re: etags name collision.
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2022 16:18:57 +0200

Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2022 15:47:49 +0200
From: Ergus <spacibba@aol.com>
Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org

>Emacs doesn't need ctags

So we shouldn't provide ctags by default.

I'm opposed to dropping stuff just because we can.  If you want to add
an option not to install ctags if another version is installed
(similarly to what we do with movemail), that's fine.

That may be an acceptable solution... But I will need to learn autotools
to implement that myself...

But please
don't argue for dropping parts of Emacs unconditionally because you
personally find it not useful, that argument will never fly with me.

I know Eli; But at some point you find that situations like this create
more confusion than benefit to the users and require some developer
support (man power) we lack of. I usually have the same feeling in the
opposite direction; when adding features that are not popular enough to
be maintained in the long therm... but that's another discussion.