Re: master 2e9111813b: Add two classic Common Lisp macro-writing macros

From: Sean Whitton
Subject: Re: master 2e9111813b: Add two classic Common Lisp macro-writing macros
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2022 22:14:17 -0700

Hello,

On Wed 13 Apr 2022 at 10:56PM -04, Richard Stallman wrote:

> The purpose of the `cl-' prefix is so that we don't need to describe
> those Common Lisp functions in the manual.  That is for functions
> whose reason for existence in Emacs Lisp is compatibility.

That might have been the initial purpose, but there are already things
with that prefix which are not only for compatibility.  For example,
cl-letf, which isn't actually anywhere in CL but only in Elisp!

> When a function exists for other reasons, we should describe it
> in the Emacs Lisp Reference Manual so that users can find it.
> Giving it the`cl-' prefix is unnecessary and confusing.
> Let's define it without a prefix.

If the functions were to be moved to subr-x, then they wouldn't get an
entry in that manual, though.

--
Sean Whitton