Re: Proposal: add a binding for `imenu' under M-g

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Proposal: add a binding for `imenu' under M-g
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2022 08:51:17 +0300

> From: chad <yandros@gmail.com>
> Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2022 15:03:54 -0400
> Cc: Sean Whitton <spwhitton@spwhitton.name>,
>  Filipp Gunbin <fgunbin@fastmail.fm>,
>  EMACS development team <emacs-devel@gnu.org>
>
> From the imenu info node:
>
>  If you type ‘M-x imenu’, it reads the name of a definition using the
>  minibuffer, then moves point to that definition.[...]

How is this different from what M-. does? or "C-x `"? or even
"C-x b", for that matter?

> The parallel seems pretty clear to me. I tried it out in Org and a couple
> elisp files, and it felt natural. What am
> I missing? (Honest question; I haven't used imenu much in practice.)

Many Emacs commands eventually "go" someplace.  That doesn't yet mean
they should all have a binding with the M-g prefix.  I'm saying that
we should perhaps give imenu a different key binding.  Why is that
idea being rejected without seriously considering it?