Re: Patches for elpa-admin

From: Brian Cully
Subject: Re: Patches for elpa-admin
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2022 11:05:53 -0400

>> I have actually been looking into implementing a TRAMP backend that
>> would tunnel all communication through a Guix shell.  I think in that
>> case Flymake should be able to make use of that.
>
> That sounds nice.  We'd need a solution that can be made to work
> "everywhere", so the API should be sufficiently generic that it can make
> use of various sandboxing systems.

        I would love a system that can handle this in a
container-agnostic manner. The primary wrinkle I can see right now is
that while ‘guix shell’ will happily spin up and use an environment from
scratch, other containers treat those as separate steps (eg, FreeBSD
jails need to be installed on disk before a ‘jexec’ can be issued in
them).

        I suppose, even Guix needs to have a manifest of some sort to
run ‘guix shell’ against, which is /sort of/ like the install phase of
jails, if you squint hard enough.

-bjc