Re: Patches for elpa-admin

From: Philip Kaludercic
Subject: Re: Patches for elpa-admin
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2022 15:44:27 +0000

Brian Cully <bjc@spork.org> writes:

>>> I have actually been looking into implementing a TRAMP backend that
>>> would tunnel all communication through a Guix shell.  I think in that
>>> case Flymake should be able to make use of that.
>>
>> That sounds nice.  We'd need a solution that can be made to work
>> "everywhere", so the API should be sufficiently generic that it can make
>> use of various sandboxing systems.
>
>       I would love a system that can handle this in a
> container-agnostic manner. The primary wrinkle I can see right now is
> that while ‘guix shell’ will happily spin up and use an environment from
> scratch, other containers treat those as separate steps (eg, FreeBSD
> jails need to be installed on disk before a ‘jexec’ can be issued in
> them).
>
>       I suppose, even Guix needs to have a manifest of some sort to
> run ‘guix shell’ against, which is /sort of/ like the install phase of
> jails, if you squint hard enough.

Not necessarily, you can just list the packages you need when starting
the shell

    $ type markdown
    bash: type: markdown: not found
    $ guix shell markdown
    [env] $ which markdown
    markdown is /gnu/store/...

The question is if this requires some separate infrastructure, of if
container support can be supported via TRAMP (e.g. like
https://github.com/emacs-pe/docker-tramp.el does for Docker).

--
        Philip Kaludercic